Sunday, July 17, 2011

I've Got the Power!

When someone says, "wear your power tie," what do you think of? I'm guessing red. And you're right! A bold solid red tie, or one with a fairly subtle pattern, is known as the power tie for the power suit!  But in the many years I sold Men's clothing, I always directed my clients toward a second option--yellow. This suggestion surprises a lot of people. But its bold bright color does not allow you to blend in, and exudes a level of confidence. Kings have long used this color in royal dress to show authority and symbolize their power, but I don't see a lot of executives using this option.  I took a snapshot of a video on CNN this morning showing Roger Clemens' lawyer.

Of course, he's wearing it with a light brown suit to appear more approachable and friendly. But match this up with your black or navy suit and you've got your go-to Boardroom look!

Nordstrom has some great options ranging from $49.40-$79.90. Click here to see their full selection of yellow ties.













So try something different. See how you feel and how people respond to you in this bold color!
In what context do you wear a yellow tie?

2 comments:

  1. OK, So you've convinced me to wear a frickin' yellow tie. Now the big (and slightly off topic) question, how wide should the tie be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question! In order to be on trend with a thinner tie--but not a "skinny tie" for work, see if you can find one between 2 3/8" to 2 3/4".

    ReplyDelete